- I and my family are happy, healthy and more than blessed.
2. I joined a Spirit-led Church, which is also one that my best friend attends!
Alas, no picture here. But imagine thousands of young people under the same roof praising God and that’s what my church is like. ❤
3. I ACTUALLY BLOGGED
And I sorta kinda ish kept up with my youtube channel? It was mainly vlogging about time at drama school, probably interesting only to those on my course buuuuut I did also post some #teatimetuesday discussion videos which were fun.
4. I met new people and grew closer to those I already knew ❤
Love these guys.
5. I had my play, For a Black Girl, put on at RCSSD to a sell out audience
So thankful to God and my wonderful cast and crew for that one!
6. I was awarded ‘Highly Commended Writer’ in the FAB Prize 2017
Awarded by Faber and Faber and Andlyn Literary Agency ❤ This is us outside Bloomsbury House. Honestly, such a beautiful day!
7. I performed in an advert for eBay
Yeeees, I did!
8. And I met Scola Dondo at the shoot! ❤
She’s been one of my inspirations since about 2014. She’s incredible and I love her. You should check out her videos online!
9. Summer ball was super fun
Look at some of my closest and very beautiful friends!
10. I performed at Tricycle Theatre
It was curated by Juliana Stevens, and I had a lot of fun performing on a large stage
11. My best friend got married! I was bridesmaid, woohoo!
Aaaand helped to prepare for her hen party! Which was super fun! Escape the room, anybody?
12. I played “Bubbles” in Maquillage as part of our company, Stationist Maquillage’s show at Bankside
Doing my MA was such a blessing. I was constantly learning (even if some lessons only became clearer later on) and was challenged as an artist (in a great way!)
13. I witnessed my best friend’s baptism, baby!
Dorcas, I’m looking at you. You looked radiant ❤
14. I turned 22!
It was a lovely day and my friends came to watch me perform!
15. I began working as an arts journalist
I was commissioned to write some pretty awesome articles, like this one:
and this one:
16. Liling came back from Singapore!
And it was lovely ❤
17. I performed in London theatres!
Three different London theatres in three successive days! It was tiring but enjoyable!
18. I won Talawa Theatre’s Spoken Word Competition
…and got to perform on the opening night of their spanking show, ‘Bite Your Tongue.’
(Wow, I just used the word ‘spanking.’ It was great, seriously). Talawa are one of the leading theatres making stellar work and championing Black talent and I love that.
19. My novel was printed and I held it in my hands!
YO, HOW EPIC IS THAT. You can see how excited I was (still am) in this video lol
20. My ex lecturer (and published author, punk rock band legend, and all round awesome sauce person) read my novel and gave me feedback
And he…liked it. Wheyheyy
21. I got to celebrate my best friend’s graduation! (You go girl!)
Look at her! SO PROUD. SO SO SO SO PROUD AND HAPPY FOR HER.
22. I did some modelling!
Even better, I was approached by a professional photographer.
Check out Michael Brosnan’s work – he’s fantastic!
23. I became a proud member of the BrainStorm Ensemble and we took our debut show to Malta!!
Dude, Malta is beautiful. Seriously. Someone say ‘international theatre makers’.
24. Soon after, this was followed by another working holiday in Italy!
I had the loveliest time in Italy. I especially loved chilling with my wonderful Italian host family.
So, fun story, on my last night in Italy (I was working as a drama practitioner at a children’s theatre), I had the choice between booking myself into a hotel for about 6 hours (my flight was at 5am) OR randomly walking around the city. At night. In a city I didn’t know at all (my stay had been elsewhere). Alone.
I chose the latter.
It rained, I lugged my suitcase around, I got chatted up by some – to be fair to them – very lovely men, I explored some cool monuments (?) and I drank a lot.
25. I graduated! AGAIN.
I’m a Master of Arts baby! From the top conservatoire in the UK 2018. Allow me to be super duper excited please. More than that, I’m so grateful.
26. I delved fully into freelancing
I’ve had so many great opportunities, like performing in an interactive Christmas market and at the University of Roehampton.
27. I was invited back to RCSSD after I graduated.
I was commissioned to write for the students and to join the head course leader in leading a workshop
28. My play is programmed into the largest arts festival in London!! Come along in January!
God is so amazing. This is one of the most exciting pieces of news! I keep saying I’m blessed and I really am.
It’s been a pleasure 2017! Bring on an even better year for 2018!